The Cornell Daily Sun Showcase at Raw Expo

Last Thursday, we at The Sun set up a booth for an event, RAW EXPO, at Milstein Hall to showcase our diverse products, from our classic print paper to our new digital initiatives.

To provide some background on the nature of the event, our Arts and Entertainment Editor, Andrei Kozyrev, details Raw Expo itself and its host organization, Medium:

“The event was organized by Medium Design Collective and fits within the greater objective of the club to promote interdisciplinarity and bring various creative communities out of their bubble via design and dialogue. Medium was founded by Pamela Chueh ’17 and Andres Romero Pompa ’17 in 2015 and since then the collective has worked diligently to connect artists and creatives in Cornell to create a more open and united community…This year’s RAW featured 40 project teams, from CUAppDev to Thread Magazine and Social Business Consulting. Each was given their own booth to show visuals, posters and customize their space in a way that reflects the club’s culture, something that Medium organizers intended as a way to unite participants into a collective while preserving their individuality.

On our display:

arts-bw-CBP_5216

Photo by Cameron Pollack, Sun Photography Editor

“The Cornell Daily Sun also participated, showcasing new initiatives in multimedia production, the Photosphere project and ways in which we strive for integrity in factual reporting. The overarching theme of our booth was the inevitable shift of the media landscape toward all things digital. On our table, the physical copy of that Thursday’s edition was juxtaposed with a digital version of City Editor Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs’s scoop of the ILR school hack, featuring animations and graphic design by Sophia Deng ’19, our editor-in-chief. Videos about the recent Cornell Fashion Collective, a naval ROTC midshipman who spoke about his passion for military service and a campus salads taste-testing flashed on a TV monitor as Juhwan Park ‘18, our multimedia editor, explained the video-editing process. Karly Krasnow ‘17, Sun assistant photography editor, and Angela Lee ‘19, business associate for The Sun, presented the Photosphere project. I spoke to visitors about The Sun’s place in Cornell’s community and its ongoing initiatives to sustain student journalism while keeping content and appearance relevant to its audience. I also asked attendees to identify real and fake news headlines, intending to show the difficulty of filtering information in the current media environment.”

Fake news activity poster designed by Andrei Kozyrev and Sophia Deng

Aforementioned digital redesign of a news article

The full article may be accessed here